Over the summer ProQuest launched its new and improved RefWorks® reference management platform, simplifying and improving research and collaboration workflows. Refworks 2.0 has a more modern interface making it easier to import to your library, better PDF handling and is now compatible with Microsoft Word 2016 and Google Docs.
RefWorks 2.0 has all the same functionality as RefWorks “legacy” but with an improved layout and navigation, making it easy to discover its features. There are now buttons and quick links for common tasks, but all tasks are still available through the menus. Current Refworks users will see some of the same tools they are familiar with but with new cutting-edge functionality including:
- A modern, citation-style editor with a WYSIWYG interface to overcome the hurdles of implementing customized output styles.
- Built-in PDF reader with full annotation and collaboration capabilities, enabling individuals and teams to work more effectively.
- New add-ins for Google Docs from the Microsoft Store for Office 2016.
- A folder and sub-folder hierarchy to simplify content organization, and tagging capabilities to quickly retrieve the ideal citations.
- Automated recognition of uploaded documents.
- Built-in document reading, with zoom capability, supports PDF and Office files
- Share documents with collaborative annotation (ability to highlight and add notes) as well as various levels of sharing (read-only, annotate, modify).
The new RefWorks is expected to receive updates throughout 2016 which will add current (legacy) RefWorks features not yet available in the new RefWorks, i.e. ability to attach image files, ability to attach multiple files to a record, ability to display the interface in non-English languages, etc. The new blue-themed RefWorks is currently available for your use and the library can help you make the transition. The red and beige themed “legacy” RefWorks will be phased out in another year (September 2017).
Not familiar with RefWorks in any capacity (either interface)? Visit our class request page to sign up for a RefWorks session.