(Archival post – This position was filled in August 2012.)
The Health Sciences Library (HSL) of New York Medical College (NYMC) is recruiting for a Digital Services Librarian (Information Services Librarian). New York Medical College, a member of the Touro College and University System, is located in beautiful Valhalla, Westchester County, New York, about 30 miles north of Manhattan. The Health Sciences Library (HSL) serves more than 4500 faculty, employees, students, residents and fellows of New York Medical College. The HSL supports users in the School of Medicine, School of Health Sciences and Practice and Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences.
Information Services Librarian (Digital Services Librarian)
Purpose: The Information Services Librarian (Digital Services Librarian) serves the educational, research and information needs of the University community via the creation and maintenance of web-based interactive content, tutorials, learning objects, and reference services that extend library education and research assistance to all students, faculty, residents, fellows and employees wherever they may be located.
• Provides expertise and leadership in the design, development, maintenance, and evaluation of web-based interactive content, orientations, tutorials, learning objects, and online services;
• Recommends and develops new library digital services including those for mobile devices:
• Assesses instructional modules, based on usability;
• Promotes the use of appropriate current and emerging technologies and media;
• Serves as a member of the reference team, library web committee and other committees as assigned;
• Designs, develops, and maintains a learning objects database;
• Performs liaison responsibilities with NYMC clinical and non-clinical academic departments including instruction, online searching, and marketing of library services;
• Updates library web content, performs mediated searches, and conducts training on the use of information technologies to NYMC constituents;
• Participates in digitization activities of the library;
• Develops an online tracking system for the activities of the department;
• Coaches, trains and supports colleagues;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required:MLS degree from an ALA-accredited library school with experience creating web-based learning objects in various formats within an academic environment; demonstrated interpersonal skills; public service orientation; ability to work both independently or as part of a team, and manage projects effectively.
Preferred: Experience with health sciences information resources and principles of evidence based practice; demonstrated knowledge of the best practices, standards in web design, and knowledge of major tools such as Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks, Adobe Creative Suite (especially MSAccess) products; database design experience; knowledge of web 2.0 technologies (such as blogs, wikis, RSS, podcasting), and demonstrated ability to make innovative use of these technologies in library education. Ability to utilize software (such as GoToWebinar, WebEx and Captivate) to develop online instructional content. In addition, knowledge of bibliographic management software, current information literacy standards and instructional best practices; knowledge of usability testing and web analytics; demonstrated knowledge of major web programming languages and frameworks, such as PHP.
Reporting: Associate Director, User Support, Education and Research Services.
Available: April 1, 2012
Please send your letter of interest and resume directly to: Alicia Parrish, New York Medical College, Human Resources Department, 95 Grasslands Road, Valhalla, NY 10595; (914) 594 4564; (914) 594 4309; email@example.com
Please consider this as a wonderful job opportunity and pass along to your friends and colleagues. Although the contact listed above is our Human Resources person, Marie Ascher (firstname.lastname@example.org) or I would welcome the chance to speak with anyone about the position if interested.
Diana Diana Cunningham, MLS, MPH, Associate Dean and Director, 914-594 4207
Marie Ascher, MS, Associate Director, USER Services, 914-594-3168
Health Sciences Library New York Medical College