Published by the American Psychological Association (APA), PsycINFO’s ever-expanding collection of behavioral and social science research, dissertations, and scholarly literature abstracts offers a broad view of the field. PsycINFO delivers the peer-reviewed content and abstracts that medical students and researchers need.
- 2 updates per week
- Over 4.5 million bibliographic records
- Indexing of 2,500 journals, 99% of which are peer reviewed
- Coverage dating back to 1806
- Ability to search indexed fields such as Medical Subject Headings (MeSH), age group, population, and methodology.
- Authored and edited books and book chapters
- Dissertations selected from Dissertation Abstracts International (sections A and B)
- Publications from more than 50 countries
- Journals published in 29 languages
Current and Comprehensive
PsycINFO is one of the most current resources available for exploring and locating behavioral and social sciences research. It includes features such as First Posting for journal records, ensuring access to the earliest publication of a journal article.
High-Quality and Authoritative
The content in PsycINFO is selected by APA experts based on quality and relevance to the field. Each bibliographic record is created and reviewed by APA’s skilled and knowledgeable staff. Additionally, record monitoring continues post-release to ensure the highest level of accuracy for each individual record. Complete database reloads occur regularly, allowing ever-increasing functionality, the inclusion of new fields, and enhanced indexing features.
Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms
The indexing in APA databases is based on the Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms®, one of the oldest and most respected reference works in the behavioral sciences. In addition to suggesting terms from the controlled vocabulary to search, entries in the Thesaurus may contain the following individual items that provide insight into the terms:
- Index Term: including date of entry
- Subject Code: unique five-digit code
- PsycINFO Posting Notes: number of articles with the term in PsycINFO
- Scope Note: definition and/or information about the proper use of the term
- Historical Note: information about the historical usage of a term since its introduction to the Thesaurus
- Used For: related terms that are not official index terms
- Broader Terms: more general index terms
- Narrower Terms: more specific index terms
- Related Terms: other index terms to consider