The 22nd Annual NYMC Faculty Author Celebration was held on Wednesday, August 5, 2015. Faculty, senior administrators and library staff celebrated the recent scholarly publications of faculty authors. Each year the library compiles the current articles, books and other writings of our faculty authors into a bibliography. This was the twenty-second edition of the Faculty Authors’ Bibliography representing materials published from January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014.
A lovely buffet and wine bar graced the event. Introductory addresses were provided by Chancellor and Chief Executive Officer, Edward C. Halperin, M.D., M.A., Michael Wolin, Ph.D., Professor of Physiology and Chair of the Library and Academic Support Committee (LASCOM) and Marie Ascher, M.S., Lillian Hetrick Huber Endowed Director of the Health Sciences Library. Special awards and certificates were presented by Marie Ascher for outstanding achievements (see below). Event photos are available for your enjoyment.
Thank you to everyone who participated in or supported this event, notably Edward C. Halperin, M.D., M.A. and Nina Kurzban, M.L.S., Compiler and Editor of this year’s bibliography. This was the first year that we collaborated with our colleagues at Touro in entirety to produce the Touro College and University System Faculty Publication, of which NYMC publications make up a considerable portion.
We are already working on the 23rd edition. Please submit information about your most recent publications.
To recognize the outstanding contributions of faculty, special awards are given each year for particularly noteworthy achievements. Below are this year’s awardees.
Author Recognition Awards 2014
- Author of a research article published in 2014 which has been cited the highest number of times in Web of Science (32):
Awardee: Barbara S. Koppel (Neurology)
Koppel, B. S. +., Brust, J. C., Fife, T., Bronstein, J., Youssof, S., Gronseth, G., & Gloss, D. (2014 Apr). Systematic review: Efficacy and safety of medical marijuana in selected neurologic disorders: Report of the guideline development Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology, 82(17), 1556-63. doi:10.1212/WNL.0000000000000363
- Research Article appearing in the journal with the Highest Impact Factor (35.289):
Awardee: Subhadra Siegel (Pediatrics)
Kwan, A., Abraham, R. S., Currier, R., Brower, A., Andruszewski, K., Abbott, J. K., . . . Puck, J. M. (2014 Aug). Newborn screening for severe combined immunodeficiency in 11 screening programs in the United States. JAMA : The Journal of the American Medical Association, 312(7), 729-38. doi:10.1001/jama.2014.9132
- Research Article appearing in the journal with the Highest Impact Factor – NYMC First author with (15.800)
Awardee: Julio Panza (Medicine)
Panza, J. A. +., Velazquez, E. J., She, L., Smith, P. K., Nicolau, J. C., Favaloro, R. R., . . . Rouleau, J. L. (2014 Aug). Extent of coronary and myocardial disease and benefit from surgical revascularization in LV dysfunction. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 64(6), 553-61. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2014.04.064
- NYMC 1st Author Highest Altmetric score (260)
Awardee: Barbara S. Koppel (Neurology) (same article – certificate only)
Koppel, B. S. +., Brust, J. C., Fife, T., Bronstein, J., Youssof, S., Gronseth, G., & Gloss, D. (2014 Apr). Systematic review: Efficacy and safety of medical marijuana in selected neurologic disorders: Report of the guideline development subcommittee of the American academy of neurology. Neurology, 82(17), 1556-63. doi:10.1212/WNL.0000000000000363
- NYMC faculty author who authored a comprehensive text in calendar year 2014.
- Aronow W. Lipid disorders.
- Fekete R. Neurology Review Pearls.
- Omura Y. Promotion of health and longevity.
- Omura Y. Stimulating hand improved diseases.
- Swartz MH. Textbook of physical diagnosis.
- Bedzow I (2nd author). Codification of Jewish law.
- Whole book, edited:
- Aronow W. Cardiac arrhythmias.
- Cohen SR. Atopic dermatitis.
- Asensio JA. Book Editor 4th of 7. Atlas of trauma.
- Frishman WH. Book editor 6th of 7. Year book of medicine.
- Garrick R. Book editor 4th of 7. Year book of medicine.
- NYMC Academic department with the highest percentage of published faculty relative to department size:
School of Health Sciences and Practice
1st Environmental Health Sciences 25%
2nd Epidemiology & Community Health 23%
3rd Center on Disability & Health 12%
1st Neurosurgery 33%
2nd Pathology 29%
3rd Dermatology 27%
Basic Sciences Departments
1st Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 63% (this is an upset. Physiology held this title for 20 years!)
2nd Physiology 53%
3rd Microbiology and Immunology 50%
Congratulations to all authors and thanks to everyone who attended this year’s celebration.