Serials Systems Librarian
Purpose: This position manages the functions of the Library’s integrated library system, all serials functions of the Health Sciences Library, and serves as a member of the professional library faculty.
- Manages the Ex Libris integrated library system (ILS) (remote hosted), including upgrades, modifications, enhancements, as well as serving as the point person for ILS-related issues and problems, training, and collaborating with staff to ensure that the library’s relevant linkages are current, accurate and accessible;
- Manages the serials collections and processing to include ordering titles/volumes in print or electronic form, processing, claiming, replacing volumes, and deletions or cancellations;
- Manages bibliographic and holdings records (SERHOLD and OCLC), including serials management tools and serials records in electronic databases and tools;
- With the Content Management Librarian, manages the operational expenditures of the HSL serials budget;
- Trains and supervises staff in serials management and manages bindery operations;
- Serves as point person for serials-related questions or problems;
- Develops and implements serials collection development policy serving as a member of the HSL Collection Development Committee;
- Serves as a member of the reference team;
- Maintains operational manuals and tools for staff;
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
Required: Masters Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program; minimum of 2 years experience in an academic or health sciences library, managing serials functions, and relevant integrated library functions; demonstrated managerial/supervisory experience; ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment both individually and as part of a team; excellent communication and writing skills.
Preferred: Knowledge of relevant software (e.g. OCLC, SERHOLD, Ex Libris Voyager, electronic serials management systems, Microsoft Office, data analysis, and web-development software); AHIP membership or eligibility.
Reports to: Assistant Director, Information Processing and Library Network Systems Administrator
Availability: June, 18, 2009